The safety and well-being of our program participants, volunteers and staff is our top priority.
We are continually monitoring the current situation and following guidance from The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and our local health department.
As our community responds to the COVID-19 outbreak, TrueNorth Community Services remains committed to our mission knowing that our most vulnerable community members are deeply and disproportionately affected by crises such as this.
We recognize that we must keep critical resources available and accessible to people who need them. We are in ongoing communication with our partners, staff and volunteers to maintain safe practices that will ensure these essential programs and services continue with minimal risk to all those involved.
Health and safety precautions
We are following the recommendations of the CDC to help stop the spread of germs and have posted guidelines in public areas as a reminder to those coming to the TrueNorth Service Center in Fremont and Camp Newaygo in Newaygo. In addition, we have reinforced and/or instituted the following restrictions:
- Reiterating the importance of proper personal hygiene practices
- Ramping up cleaning/disinfecting procedures
- Asking anyone not feeling well to remain home and join us another time
- Suspending all volunteer activities
- Postponing or cancelling all non-essential face-to-face meetings
- Limiting attendance at larger group meeting, events and activities
- Maximizing virtual meeting/event attendance
Reducing risk while delivering our mission
We are committed to providing support to the most vulnerable among us while maintaining quality programs and services. In an effort to maintain the safety and well-being of all involved, the following changes will go into effect Monday, March 16, 2020, and will remain through Sunday, April 13, 2020, unless otherwise specified:
- Camp Newaygo: All public community events are canceled through May 1. The Girls’ Resident Camp and Co-ed Day Camp are proceeding as scheduled. Camp Newaygo staff is working remotely until further notice.
- Center for Nonprofit Housing: Services will be available with increased use of phone and electronic communication when appropriate.
- Circles Newaygo County: All weekly meetings are canceled. Circle Leaders and Allies are encouraged to continue communication as they deem appropriate.
- Food Pantry: The food pantry at the TrueNorth Service Center in Fremont will remain accessible during normal hours (8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.). Prepackaged boxes of food will be delivered curbside to vehicles at the food pantry exit door (north side of the building).
- Heat and Energy: All heat and energy programs will proceed as normal.
- Housing: Essential housing services, such as homeless prevention and support, will be available with increased use of phone and electronic communication when appropriate.
- Mobile Food Truck: TrueNorth will continue to host food trucks on the last Wednesday of each month as normal, but will run as a drive-thru for pre-assembled boxes of food items. Additional mobile food trucks are being scheduled at TrueNorth. Please check the normal postings/ads for the monthly schedules.
- Out-of-School Time Programs: TrueNorth out-of-school time programs are working to provide electronic learning and enrichment opportunites for students in conjunction with each individual school district's long distance learning programs.
- TrueMentors: All after school, Parks In Focus and TrueBlue Academy programming are canceled. Community-based mentoring will proceed as participants deem appropriate.
- Volunteer Services: All TrueNorth volunteer activities are suspended.
- Weekend PowerPacks: PowerPacks are being distributed in Grant, Hesperia, White Cloud and Newaygo County Career Tech Center through each school district's food delivery system.