posted on May 25, 2018 12:00
TrueNorth Community Services’ Community of Efforts Celebration on May 22 feted our volunteers and donors, honoring their efforts and dedication.
The community celebration included a special presentation of volunteer and donor awards.
Community Awards went to:
- Bessie Slautterback Award for Lifetime Service — Max and Yvonne Lee
- Gene Cotton Award for Creating a Brighter Future — Barb Veenstra
- Peggie Stone Award for Commitment to Youth — Jack and Mary Butterick
- Community Partner Award — Brant Electric
- Youth in Action Award — Newaygo County Career-Tech Center
Program Awards went to:
- President's Award — George and Norma Purvis
- Camp Newaygo — Nancy Norden
- Circles Newaygo County — Gary Evans
- Special Projects — Tonya Bier
- Spirit of TrueNorth — Helen Mulder
- TrueMentors — Valerie Hall
- TrueNorth Food Pantry — Lynn Moe
- Volunteer Services — John and Denise Dill
The honors were followed by small plates food from Ridge Specialties catering; family-friendly music by Big Foot Buffalo's Kyle Brown and guitar-and-fiddle duet John Merchant and Angela Corbin; entertainment Zeemo and Clark the Juggler; and fun-filled activities, Camp Newaygo’s rock wall, Fremont Police Department's bounce house, face painting and bubbles making.
At the celebration, attended by about 160 people at the TrueNorth Service Center in Fremont, TrueNorth’s Volunteer Services and Special Projects Coordinator, Phil Gabel reported that in 2017 TrueNorth volunteers gave 30,790 hours of service to the agency. That was a total equaling $728,799 in saved salary expenses.
“We quite simply, would not be able to accomplish what do without the support of our local volunteers and donors,” he said. “Our Community of Efforts celebration is just a small token of our gratitude for all they do."
To learn more about the volunteer opportunities available at TrueNorth, and how to get involved through volunteering or donating, visit www.truenorthservices.org.