Behind on Rent or Utility Bills?

TrueNorth Community Services provides rent relief assistance in Lake, Mason, Newaygo and Oceana counties. 

If you reside in another county and are seeking assistance, please call 2-1-1.
We have emergency funds available to help renters pay rent and utility bills (including past due rent and utilities).



Lake, Mason, Newaygo and Oceana County residents
call toll-free: 877-446-8730

Monday - Friday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm 
Help is available in English and Spanish


About the CERA Rent Relief Program






Both landlords and tenants can use this website to create and submit their application.

If you need assistance completing an application, our Housing Intake staff can assist you in submitting an application over the phone. For Lake, Mason, Newaygo and Oceana counties call 877-446-8730 to make an intake appointment.

For all other counties call 2-1-1 to discuss any resources that may be available to you.

The CERA Rent Relief Program can help renters with the following costs starting as far back as March 13, 2020.

(this means you could potentially request assistance for up to 12 months of past due bills):

  • Past due rent plus up to 3 months of current or expected rent costs with your initial application.
  • Past due, current and expected utility expenses that fall within program limits. This may include an internet stipend. This can only be applied for with your initial application.
  • After the initial 3 months of current/future rental assistance, you can apply for up to 3 additional months of assistance if funds are still available and eligibility is still met. This additional assistance can be applied for in 3 month increments until you hit either 12 or 15 months of total assistance, depending on your income.

Landlord Application

For Landlords applying for unpaid or future rent on behalf of tenants:

  • All payments must be used to satisfy the tenant’s rental obligations.
  • The tenant must sign the application.
  • Forms are available in multiple languages. To apply with a paper application click here.

What can I do to get ready?

  • Identify which units and households you think qualify.
  • Reach out to your tenants with language barriers or tenants with disabilities to make them aware of the program.
  • Confirm that the households you have identified meet the eligibility criteria noted below and help them gather required documentation.

Tenant Application

For households applying directly for unpaid or future rent or utilities:

  • You can apply directly and invite your landlord to participate.
  • The system will invite your landlord to create an account and provide information.
  • If your landlord does not want to participate, you can still apply.
  • Forms are available in multiple languages. To apply with a paper application click here.

What can I do to get ready?

Let your landlord know you are planning to apply. They will be invited to participate too.

Unable To Access the Online Application?

Tenants who are unable to access the online application may call the Housing Intake Specialists for personal assistance at 877-446-8730 or email As part of the application process, documentation will also be accepted by postal mail: TrueNorth Community Services, 6308 S. Warner Ave, Fremont, MI 49412.


All payments will be made directly to the landlord and/or utility provider unless they do not agree to accept the payment. If they do not accept payment, the payment will be made directly to the tenant once the required landlord outreach has been done by our processing specialists.

Eviction Diversion

Prioritization is extended to households whose landlords have already sued for eviction in their local court. These applications will be processed first to decrease the program processing time and increase the likelihood of evictions being diverted.