TrueMentors exists to create a positive lasting difference to the lives of those we serve by establishing mentoring relationships that build self confidence, expose youth to new experiences, and provides them with a safe place to grow into their best selves.
Our current program offerings:
Adult volunteers are matched with Newaygo County youth in a one-to-one mentoring relationship. Matches meet about four times each month and spend a minimum of eight hours each month together. Matches determine scheduling that works best for them to spend time together.
Our site-based mentoring program is in partnership with Project FOCUS after-school programs at certain school districts. Matches meet once a week on a pre-determined day and time. High school students and adults are welcome to participate.
Children are selected to participate through Project FOCUS staff referrals, teacher referrals, or at the request of parents. To be enrolled, an application and interview process will be required as well as enrollment and attendance in Project FOCUS.
Youth we serve
To become involved in our program, children must:
- Be between the ages of 5 and 14
- Reside or attend school in Newaygo County
- Complete the application and interview process
Be a Mentor
- Be at least 18 years old
- Willing to be a mentor for a minimum of one year
- Complete the enrollment process which includes the application process, in-person interview, reference checks, background checks and a volunteer training session
Be a High School Volunteer
- Willing to be a mentor for a minimum of a school year
- Complete the enrollment process which includes the application process, in-person interview, reference forms and a volunteer training session
- Not have any other after-school conflicts during the schedule meeting time
- Participate on the Advisory Board for TrueMentors and help staff with strategic direction, fundraising, and goal setting. The Advisory Board meets monthly, with each meeting lasting about one hour.
Get involved today to be a part of TrueNorth's long-standing mentoring history.
TrueNorth’s Mentoring History
1976 - 1998 Youth Connections
1998 - 2016 Big Brothers Big Sisters
2016 and forward TrueMentors
To inquire about TrueMentors and the variety of ways to be involved, contact:
Mentoring Outreach Advocate
(231) 924-0641 ext 109